Tuesday, December 15, 2009

A bogus ending to a great movie

Well, today I rejoin the blog community after a hiatus—finals week swallowed my life whole. Seriously, there aren’t enough hours in a day to accomplish everything. ALAS--here is my first blog in two weeks (the blog from yesterday was written about a year ago and featured in my school newspaper). ANYWAY: today, I will talk about one movie that I love, but the ending is just not ok.



Titanic.
I love Titanic. I think it’s an awesome movie; a little love, a little sex, a little disaster, a lot of death. Perfect recipe for a blockbuster. The only problem is the end. Rose, young and beautiful during the time she embarked from England on the Titanic, is elderly and wrinkled in the present of the movie. After throwing the Heart of the Ocean diamond into the curiously blue waters of the North Atlantic (obviously, the heart of the ocean is supposed to symbolize her heart, and the act of throwing it overboard shows the audience that her heart always belonged in the ocean), Rose dies in her sleep. She subsequently goes to her version of heaven: the Titanic in all the splendor and glory it once was, with the long dead Jack, among many others, there waiting for her return.

It’s BS. Did James Cameron really think that Rose, after living another 80 some-odd years (shes 17 when the ship goes down in 1912, the movie was made in 1996, you do the math), would really return to a weekend affair she had when she was 17? I know, I know its romantic, catharsis for the audience, blah blah blah. I don’t buy it. What about the life Rose had after Jack died? It was LONG! 80 years long! She was an actress, made a name for herself, married and had children. I know a woman’s heart is full of secrets and shit, but she only knew they guy for three days, and they only got along for one, and only had sex once! Do I think Rose should have married the rich guy, not really. But that would have been more realistic and true to real life, wouldn’t it?

1 comment:

  1. I think it would be funny if we all found out that it turned out that Jack changed his name and then went on to comedy prominence as...wait for it...Bob Hope!!

    ReplyDelete